Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What I've been told to expect

With my surgery coming up tomorrow (eek!), here is what I know at this point about the procedure, hospital stay, and recovery.
  • In the hospital for 3-4 days
  • Epidural will be done (specific spinal block to my right hip)
  • Probably aspirin and Lovinox injections afterwards (versus TED hose) to ward off blood clots
  • Cell-saver blood management during surgery (re-use my own blood as much as they can during the procedure. Some folks bank their blood beforehand from what I've read. Had to sign a waiver that gives them permission to do a blood transfusion if necessary.)
  • ~12" incision
  • Toe-touch weight-bearing only on right side for 8-10 weeks
(meaning, no steps ... no driving ...)

When he told me that, I was thinking to myself ... "How is THAT supposed to work? All our bedrooms are upstairs, including the kids rooms! I won't be able to tuck them in at night, do laundry, or anything??" Mentally where I am right now is, if I can just survive the anesthesia (which will be a first for me, even though my children were both born via c-section, I was still awake) ... then I can handle whatever comes my way.

We have a downstairs bedroom (nicely termed the "man cave" where my husband has all his music studio/recording/composing stuff and keyboards) where we've moved some things around so that we can rent a mechanical bed that we can raise/lower/adjust as needed). We also have an incredible network of friends and folks at church who are rallying to bring over dinners for us! This was nice considering my husband has a full time job, and will be busy taking care of me and both kids during recovery!

No comments: