Tuesday, September 22, 2009

8 1/2 week Follow-Up results

Greetings everyone.

Yesterday I had my check-up with Dr. Kregor. The breaks in the hip bone are healing well, with the exception of one of the major breaks which "still has some healing to be done". He re-checked the swelling in my right leg (and I'm happy to report that the unbelievable swelling in my foot/ankle that I've been fighting with for the last month is 99% gone!), and he noticed I still have swelling around my calf. I went this morning back to Vanderbilt to have another dopplar ultrasound done on my right lower extremity to look for blood clots, and everything was free and clear.

I am allowed to progress from toe-touch weight bearing to 20%, and very gradually increase from there over the next 4 weeks until I see him again. I'm to continue PT 2x week as well, and can drive in 3 weeks.

I have to admit I was not in a good mood yesterday as I went into the office, as I was hoping (prematurely) to be permitted to do 50% PLUS weight bearing and perhaps only use 1 crutch or a cane. I knew deep down that the xrays would be the determining factor of how much weight I would be to bear, so knowing the bones still need to heal ... I have to suck it up and be patient while that happens. The last thing I want is for the healing to not happen the way it should, and possibly have problems later. I definitely don't want to go through that again!! :-)

So I will go back to PT starting this Thursday. I'm also going into the office pretty much every day, granted a little late on PT days, and was given the ok to return to a full work schedule. It's really good to be able to see the team on a daily basis now, and with all the work on my plate it's also been easier than I thought to cut way back on my pain meds (which I'm trying to ween off of). Once I'm down to only taking pain meds before bed, this will help clear me to drive. Pain wise I'm doing really well, just have muscle soreness in the hip flexors from time to time.

I've enjoyed watching the emails fly on the "hipwomen" Yahoo! group I'm now a member of. Lots of women who are just about to go through a PAO, and others who are recovering like I am. I've seen folks asking questions about the same things I'm going through, and I've also seen questions fly by about problems or issues that I (thankfully) am NOT experiencing. I wish I would have found this group earlier on - I think I may have been more emotionally prepared for the recovery ahead than I was.

So when I'm crutching around, I'm letting my foot touch the ground and letting my leg "go through the motions" of walking. I honestly can't tell what percentage of weight I'm putting on it yet, probably 5% or less, but I'm letting it go through the motions and will work with my physical therapist to ensure I'm using more weight, but just not too much to impede the healing of my hip bone. While at home, I will probably still use the wheelchair if I need both hands to do things in the kitchen like clean up. You can't do much of anything when you're on crutches.

John continues to chaperone both kids to school, me to work, and me to all my appointments. I can't wait to be able to drive again so I can help ease some of the load, and can actually feel like there is something I can do on my own ... without help.

Well, that's the latest.

2 comments:

HipRN said...

Hey Lori,
Hang in there! Sounds like you have the most conservative of all the PAO docs out there, but I guess we just have to trust what they say and go with it, eh? At least he's letting you use crutches now!!!:)
Hip Women is a great site, though, and it's the only way I have been able to stay "sane". I'm totally obsessed with my diagnosis and this site has allowed me to get through all this craziness without going crazy (at least totally crazy anyway, lol!)
You sound as though you're doing great though, and as frustrated as you must feel now, when you look back on it, it will probably not seem quite so bad. You'll be happy you did it to be free of the pain and avoiding a THR!
Keep smiling and I will keep thinking about you:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
I just realized that I introduced my self on the Sept 13th entry instead of your most current entry. Oops! What Marcie says is so true! It's amazing how similar our stories are. I still have my wheel chair for any outdoor outings, but I use an office chair to get around my kitchen. It's a good solid size with arm rests and tilts back...not a flimsy one. The wheel chair was too awkward and bulky to manuver where I needed to go. It probably saved my life! Starting my second week, I was able to crutch down the stairs and sit in the office chair. I would use my good leg and push my self backwards, then swivel around to where I needed to be. This also freed my hands to carry stuff with me. I could even lift up on one leg to reach something when I had to using the arm rests and kitchen counter. This allowed me to get tea, breakfast, snacks, and keep up with my nutrition. My husband leaves for work at 6 am and then I'm on my own. I could pack a lunch, put it in my back pack and crutch back upstairs and get back to bed. I still use the chair in the kitchen and sometimes to push lunch into the living room while I follow on the crutches.

Take care and I will keep in touch!

Dorothy