Sunday, September 13, 2009

A week from tomorrow - see Dr. Kregor again

One week from tomorrow I have my checkup with Dr. Kregor, whom I haven't really seen since my 2 week checkup. I have been going to PT twice a week, with orders for "making headway" towards a straight leg lift from the back, and a leg lift from the side. The good news is - I can actually do 2 sets of 5 leg lifts from the SIDE, however can barely get air under my heel when lying on my back. If my therapist gives me a little assistance, I can lift my leg farther. As mentioned in a previous post, I am anxious as all get out to begin weight bearing and weaning myself away from the wheelchair and start doing some actual walking with 2 legs.

My most successful exercises are when standing. Doing the "captain morgan" knee lift is going really well (can lift it to 90 degrees with very little discomfort), side/front/rear leg lifts are also pretty good and mobile. Lying on my side, the clam exercises are getting easier and they've even added a thera-band to apply resistance. Each time I go to therapy, I also spend now 8 minutes on a stationary bike (with no resistance) and can pedal in circles with no pain. Last Friday was the first time they increased the timer from 5 to 8 minutes and my legs were a little bit tired, but not too bad.

During the day pain is not bad at all, other than my hands, fingers, etc. who have been compensating for my leg/hip these past 7 weeks. My only complaint is my hip flexor - on the center/inside area of my groin when I do exercises lying down or sitting down. The rest of my muscles (quads, glutts, hamstrings) are still very weak, but improving a little week by week.

I have now joined a Yahoo group for "hipwomen". I for once feel not quite so alone in this journey, but have to admit I'm jealous of many women whose surgeons allow weight bearing right after surgery!! I trust Dr. Kregor though and his direction, but am really hoping for some relief from my lack of independence and isolation next time I see him. My kids really miss me going upstairs to tuck them in, they miss me going to the playground with them, pushing them on the swings, taking them to school ... and I miss most of all not sleeping in my own bed with my husband and having quiet un-interrupted nighttime conversations!!! He has truly been my rock and my stability since the surgery. I don't know how he has kept his sanity as well as he has, but I would be amiss to not mention that he is an absolute miracle and blessing in my life. I don't know WHAT I would do without him. I love you, John.

For those women who have already replied to my posts (either on the forum or on my blog), thank you soooooo much. I want to open up lines of communications in both directions, so I hope my experiences can help someone else who is beginning this journey!

2 comments:

HipRN said...

Hang in there, girl! Your appt will be here before you know it! I just started PT today for strengthening my VMO's and hamstrings because my quads are weak and my knees are pretty painful too (tendinitis from the way my hips are structured) so hopefully this will get me nice and strong before surgery:)
It must be so frustrating to have to be bound to a wheelchair all the time! I think your doc is the first one I've heard giving that restriction. Mine doesn't even want me to use a walker! Just crutches from day one. Hmmmm, goes to show how VERY different each OS is, huh? Well, keep smiling, I hear it gets easier as you go:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori!
Thanks for reaching out to me through the Yahoo "hip women" group. I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in both hips in January 2009. My RPAO was done on July 29th. I've done alot of research on the subject, but I haven't joined any blogs until this past week. I should have done it alot sooner!!
I've felt so alone in this whole journey. I know the feeling of isolation and the loss of independence is a struggle (among everything else comes with the entire journey from pre-diagnosis, diagnosis, surgery and recovery) Especially since most of us need surgery on both sides. The time in between seems like it will take a lifetime to get better.

My doctor also required my to have a wheel chair. I was able to walk on crutches and go up and down stairs before I left the hospital, but only for short distances. The only problem was I couldn't get the wheel chair in or out of the house by myself....Once I was able to drive, I was not able to get the wheel chair in and out of the car by myself. So much for my visions of cruising down the beach in my new Chariot during my long days alone while everyone was working!

You are ahead of me in your physical therapy excercises. I'm attempting a little more than I've been doing, but I'm waiting for my next appointment just to make sure the bone is healing properly and clearance from the physical therapist.

Thanks again for reaching out to me. I feel better already!

Dorothy