Thursday, November 5, 2009

Someone should have warned me this would not be easy

I should have joined the Yahoo! Hipwomen forum several months ago!

Since my last update, I haven't had much to report. Work has been busy, and the RPAO recovery has been somewhat uneventful. After the injury or whatever happened at PT the day after I got cleared to ditch the crutches, recovery has stalled. I ended up going back to 1 crutch for a week or 2, and last week managed to go with the cane. I'm still on it, and pretty much can't walk pain-free without using it.

Today was my first visit back to PT since the pull/stretch/whatever happened in my hip. She kept my session short as she didn't want to overdo it. Based on how I was explaining the pain I was still having, when it happens, where it happens, etc. she was able to determine that it's probably an issue with my Gluteus Medius muscle (I have a feeling it was was of the muscles which had to be detached/re-attached during the surgery ... not sure though). I was somewhat relieved by her findings and how she explained exactly how it works ... in relation to exactly when/where I have pain. This muscle is basically what keeps your hip stabilized when you put full weight on it. And, unfortunately, that has been my problem. I can't put full weight on that leg while walking because it puts so much painful pressure on this muscle. It doesn't get more frustrating than this - given the "go" to start walking again, but can't!!!

She indicated it may take 4-6 weeks (from when I injured it at PT) for the muscle to heal itself, and she urged me to continue to use the cane and not to walk without it right now. The good part is (if you can call it "good"), is that she recommended I find a local sports facility that has an indoor pool and practice walking in the pool (since you are really only taking about 10% of your body weight in the water). The kids would go NUTS if I told them we were going to a pool, when it's in the 50's outside!! Well of course we would go to an "indoor" pool. :-)

So, I continue to stay on the crutch not knowing for how long. My biggest fear is wondering if I will ever feel somewhat normal again, or be able to walk around the neighborhood with the family successfully. We are considering making our first trip to Disney in Orlando for spring break next year, and I can't even imagine doing it. All the walking and standing ... makes my lower back and my hip hurt just thinking about it!!

I'm doing some web surfing on muscles and trying to better understand various injuries and how long it takes to recover, and what I can do to help it heal. In the meantime, I have to try and remind myself how great it feels to have returned the loaner wheelchair and bed, and to at least be vertical. Things could be a lot worse. Of course, things could be better as well.

Hoping for healing and continued strength ...
-L

No comments: