Sunday, August 2, 2009

10 days Post Op

God must really be smiling on Middle Tennessee this summer. We have had the most unbelievable weather this year, and a good bit of rain too. Usually it's in the mid-upper 90's with horrible humidity and no rain! It has really been nice.

Brief recovery update. I'm feeling fantastic considering it's less than 2 weeks since the surgery. My appetite is getting better (now I can enjoy all the food our friends and family are bringing), my upper body strength is increasing (which is a necessity since I can't put any weight on my right hip and solely rely on a walker and mostly get around via wheelchair), still have swelling and soreness in my right leg, and still need a regular dose of Percoset. Mentally I'm thinking so much more clearly as well; I wasn't expecting it to take so long for the anesthesia to leave my system but I guess after being under for 6 hours this is to be expected. Really pleased with the progress from what I can tell.

The biggest challenge right now is not being able to help with the daily parenting. The kids (particularly my son) are still having a hard time adjusting. We are having problems with obeying, listening, following instructions, and talking back. For example, my husband was trying to get the kids ready for church this morning and it was like pulling teeth to get them to do what they needed to do to get ready. I could hear them bucking back to my husband from downstairs and was absolutely helpless and powerless to do anything whatsoever to help. They finally made it out the door all in one piece, but it just absolutlely broke my heart to not be able to help take some of the stress off my husband who is trying so hard and doing everything he can to keep things rolling. It is so hard being the only functional 2 legged parent keeping the house picked up, laundry going, dishes clean, bags packed, making sure mommy is taking her meds and has what she needs, and getting the kids where they need to be. It's just really friggen hard.

Today I'm thanking God not only for this man who is doing such a great job holding the family together, but also for my mother who came over today to help me bathe and get ready and who made her famous "stained glass dessert" (brightly colored jello squares mixed with cool whip), and for my mother-in-law who is keeping the kids for a few hours so John and do some work at the office (not to mention have some quiet time).

Blessings can sometimes come in the smallest of packages. It's those small packages that can mean so much... God is so good.


-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: