Saturday, August 1, 2009

Ambition can get you in trouble

So I've been feeling amazingly well these past few days. My wonderful mom came over this morning to help me take a bath (using a special bath seat) and wash my hair, shave, blow dry my hair, put on make-up ... the whole 9 yards. I felt LIKE A MILLION BUCKS!!! Until around 1:00 (which was about an hour before I could take my next round of pain killers). It caught up to me big time. The kids have been maniacs all day, not listening, not following rules, hurting each other (like 3 and 5 year old siblings like to do), so I've been pushing myself like mad in the wheelchair all over the downstairs trying to get them in line. I'm thinking this also was pushing my leg muscles a bit further than what they were ready for.

Also, despite my best communication efforts, the kids keep leaving shoes, toys, blankets, just whatever they can find laying in the middle of every hallway and path I use to wheel through. Keep in mind, I can't bend over to pick anything up yet ... and the awesome "grabber" tool I have, well, I don't have it in my hands at all times cause it's sorta cumbersome.

My dear friend Nathalie came over this evening (while John took the kids to the pool) and brought some dinners and offered her wonderful company that she is so good at giving. That was a real treat.

Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm going to miss going to church. It's just too hard to get me to the car right now, with 7-8 steps leading down into the garage, and that's the least number of steps of the 3 doors leading outside and I can't maneuver on crutches at ALL right now much less to go up and down stairs. Maybe next week we can figure out a way to make that happen ... or maybe not. I miss leaving the house.

Well, I presume it will be another restless night of waking up between 3 and 4 a.m. in excruciating pain and having to turn on the TV and wait until it's time for another dose of pain meds before going back to sleep. It does feel good to be a little more mobile, but it's reminders like today (when you do too much) that tell you this is NO joke and there is NO quick path to healing. You HAVE to slow down and let things heal, and it's going to take a loooooooooooooooong time.

No comments: