Thursday, August 13, 2009

Recovery update - 3 weeks post-op

Wow. Has it only been 3 weeks since surgery??? It has felt like an eternity.

Tuesday I went to Vanderbilt to have a Doppler study (ultrasound) on both legs and my groin to look for blood clots as a reason for the unbelievable swelling I'm having from my incision down to my toes, and now slightly in my good leg. No clots found, and I have good blood flow!! Now I just have to wait and hope my body shapes up and learns how to absorb this extra fluid. I'm increasing my water intake so hopefully that will help.

Since I learned I don't see Dr. Kregor for another 6 weeks, I have had some bouts of serious depression knowing I have to live in these confined conditions for that much longer. I'm tired of this uncomfortable hospital bed that we rented. I'm tired of being confined to the downstairs. I'm tired of the front wheels of my wheelchair pinning me in doorways. I'm tired of the unbelievable pain in the palms of my hands because of the walker. I'm tired of every limitation that keeps me from running errands, helping get the kids ready in the mornings, and everything else domestic that a wife and mother is responsible for. I could go on ...

None of this is a surprise or unexpected. I've been told since day 1 that I would be recovering for 8-10 weeks. One just doesn't really know what that means and feels like in reality until you are in the throws of it.

There are 2 things I can look forward to though. One, my first born starts Kindergarten tomorrow! Two, I get to start work again (granted from home on the laptop, with a 5 hour per day max restriction), so I hope and pray that getting back on my big project I had to step away from will give me the much needed mental distraction and sense of progress that I've been needing lately.

I get to start off-site physical therapy on Monday morning as well. Hopefully it won't be too hard on me.

No comments: